Tulsa Opera is seeking a highly motivated and experienced Chief Development Officer to join our team. As a leading arts organization in the region for 75 years, we are dedicated to the production of professional opera of artistic integrity and enriching the region through innovative education and outreach programs. The company is currently undergoing a strategic planning process and is seeking a Chief Development Officer whose leadership in fundraising will help to guide the company through this transition and into the future. The Chief Development Officer will serve as the organization’s chief fundraiser, report to the Chief Operating Officer, and work on the development, implementation, execution, and evaluation of short- and long-term fundraising goals and strategies.
At Tulsa Opera, we are dedicated to fostering a diverse and inclusive environment. We value and celebrate diversity in all its forms, including race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, and background. We believe that a diverse team enriches our organization and enhances our artistic excellence. We are committed to providing equal opportunities and creating a workplace where every individual feels valued and empowered to contribute. To make opera accessible to all, regardless of background or identity, we work together to enrich our community through the power of the arts.
Salary range 90-100K commensurate with experience. Benefits include health, dental and vision insurance, short- and long-term disability, and life insurance. Tulsa Opera’s hybrid work policy allows employees the option to work remotely two days per week. To apply, please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Review of applications will commence immediately.
- Plan and execute a comprehensive development and fundraising strategy to meet company contributed revenue goals, including individual giving, major gifts, corporate sponsorships, foundation and government grants, annual campaigns, legacy gifts, and events.
- Identify, cultivate, and steward relationships with donors, corporate partners, and foundations.
- Collaborate with the Board of Directors to engage and support Directors in fundraising efforts. Assist with recruitment and orientation of new board members.
- Plan and execute fundraising and donor events including 3 annual President’s Council dinners and Opera Ball, ensuring the seamless coordination of logistics and achievement of revenue goals.
- Oversee grant seeking including research, proposal writing, collaboration across departments, and reporting requirements.
- Create timely and accurate reports of development activities for internal and external stakeholders. Oversee the use of Tessitura to maintain accurate donor records, track engagement, and generate reports. Utilize data to track progress toward goals and improve fundraising strategies.
- Supervise current and future development staff.
- Stay current on best practices of industry fundraising and development strategies.
- Bachelor’s degree in arts administration, nonprofit administration, business administration, communications, public relations, or related field.
- Proven track record of successful fundraising with 5+ years of professional experience, preferably in the arts or culture sector.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including grant writing and public speaking.
- Project management experience and the ability to think in the big picture and details.
- Relationship building and emotional intelligence, creating rapport and building positive relationships with organizational and industry colleagues, artists, and stakeholders.
- A passion for and knowledge of the performing arts, and the ability to galvanize others to support our company mission.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and to innovate and thrive in a changing environment, navigating the challenges of the performing arts industry in the post-pandemic world.
- Support the company in its commitment to ensuring equitable experiences, strengthening inclusion acumen, and promoting a culture of inclusivity and belonging.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Experience with or willingness to learn Tessitura software.
Tulsa is a remarkable blend of a charming, tight-knit community with the vitality of a city large enough to offer world-class amenities. Nestled in the heart of Green Country, Tulsa boasts an incredible blend of culture, entertainment, and natural beauty. From top-tier music and theater performances to state-of-the-art sports venues, the city offers something for everyone. Plus, the area’s stunning park system, including U.S.A. Today’s Best Park in America, Gathering Place, provides an exceptional backdrop for outdoor enthusiasts and families alike. With the added benefit of a remarkably low cost of living, Tulsa is an enticing place to live and work for those seeking an enriching and affordable lifestyle.